And Here’s What It Sounds Like
Moog Music has introduced a new analog synthesizer, the „fun as hell“ Slim Phatty.
Here’s what Moog has to say about the Slim Phatty:
Real Moog sound now fits your back pack and your budget. The Slim Phatty’s 100% analog signal path, intuitive user interface, rugged construction and rich MIDI, USB and Control Voltage functionality make it a must-have for producers, touring musicians and DJs.
At just 17” wide, it goes where no other Moog has gone before. Earth-shaking basses, scorching leads and more are now housed in a high-quality instrument ideal for laptop artists and space conscious musical road warriors.
- The Most Portable Moog Synth
- 100% Analog Audio Path
- Arpeggiator and LFO Sync to MIDI & Tap Tempo
- USB, MIDI & Control Voltage Connectivity
- External Audio Processing
- Earth-Shaking Basses, Scorching Leads & Sonic Infinity
Based on the Little Phatty sound engine, the Slim Phatty is the latest descendant of the Minimoog Model D and features the classic Moog Ladder Filter. In addition to shaping the sound of its on-board oscillators, the Slim Phatty’s filter is a production tool that can be used to process external audio.
A new Tuning Scale feature and editor allows easy exploration of alternate scales and tunings. Microtonal, just intonation, quarter-tone, world music scales and more make the Slim Phatty an international traveler.
In addition to the world of MIDI and USB gear, the Slim Phatty’s Control Voltage inputs give it „unlimited realms of expression and sound design possibilities.“ „Modular synth“ style patching with Moogerfooger effects processors, the CP-251 Control Voltage Processor and other Moog synths (even The Moog Guitar!) creates soundscapes previously available only on large modular systems. Connecting to the Etherwave Plus Control Voltage Theremin or the MP-201 Multi-Pedal adds unique and intuitive new modes of expression.
- Arpeggiator: synchronize to internal clock, LFO or external clock
- MIDI Clock Sync: synchronize arpeggiator and LFO tempos to external synths, drum machines, software and more.
- Tap Tempo: synchronize arpegiator and LFO to live music.
- Pot Mapping: reprogram panel knobs to control any Slim Phatty parameter.
- Monophonic, 100% Analog signal path
- Oscillators – 2 ultra-stable analog VCOs.
- Oscillator parameters:
- Osc. 1 Octave: 16′, 8′, 4′, 2′
- Osc. 1 Wave: Continuously variable from triangle through saw and square to narrow pulse.
- Osc. 1 Level
- Glide Rate
- Osc. 1 to 2 Sync On/Off
- Osc. 2 Frequency
- Osc. 2 Octave: 16′, 8′, 4′, 2′
- Osc. 2 Wave: Continuously variable from triangle through saw and square to narrow pulse.
- Osc. 2 Level
- Fine Tune (Global)
- Octave Up/Down (Global)
- Filter – Voltage Controlled Low Pass Filter: 24 dB /Oct Moog Ladder filter with overload.
- Filter parameters:
- Kb. Control Amount
- Filter Env. Amount
- Envelope Generators – 2 ADSR EGRs assigned to filter cutoff frequency and volume.
- EGR parameters:
- Modulation Parameters
- LFO Rate
- Mod Source: LFO triangle, LFO square, LFO sawtooth, LFO ramp, Filt. EGR or Sample and Hold, and Osc. 2 or Noise
- Mod Amount: amount of modulation w/ the mod wheel all the way forward
- Mod Destination: Pitch, Osc. 2, Filter, Wave
- AC In
- Power On/Off
- Audio Out
- Ext. Audio In: accepts +4dBu line level signal
- Pitch CV In (1 V/Oct)
- Filter CV In
- Volume CV In
- Keyboard Gate In
- MIDI In
- MIDI Out
- MIDI Thru
- USB: MIDI-over-USB
- Headphone Out
- Rack Mount Adaptor
- Wooden Side Panels
- 100-250VAC, 50-60 Hz
- 17″W x 4 9/16″H x 5 5/16″D
- 5.75 Lbs
Pricing and Availability
The Moog Slim Phatty lists for US $849 and is expected to be available before the end of the year.